Monday, May 11, 2009

Smile

I took a walk down along the Providence River (South Water St.)  Watched a family of ducks (mom, dad, and three ducklings) swimming merrily along.  I sat for awhile just enjoying the outdoors.  I was literally thinking about this blog and about how difficult it is to find something positive each and every day (other than family, of course).  I was thinking about the fact that I was impressed with a gentleman who acknowledged me as I passed.   A few years ago this would not have impressed me.  I would have expected it.  When I first moved to Providence and I walked almost daily to work, I was so disheartened by how people actually avoided eye contact.  Now, I get an acknowledgement and I think it's out of the ordinary?  My how one's expectations can change.  

Back to the story.  I was sitting and this young man approaches me.  "Do you have a couple of minutes?" he asks.  I paused, thought for a second, glanced at my watch, and said, "Sure."  Julian, a twenty-something, dressed in his sweatshirt and baggie pants, with his black painted fingernails,  proceeded to tell me that he was on a mission.  

His mission?  

To ask complete strangers to smile.  Not smile at him, just find time during the day to smile.  It's so much easier to smile he said than it was to frown.  The world has to many frowns.  With the economy, the war, what's going on in Africa.  "We need more smiles."  He kept his word, only took a couple of minutes of my time.  His self-proclaimed mission was to meet strangers and ask them to smile.  That's what he does.  I don't think that's going to put much  food on the table, but I like the idea just the same.

So, Julian, I gave you a smile when I meet you, and I'm smiling now as I write this.  I hope your efforts to turn frowns to smiles works out for you.   I do agree with you; the world can use a few more smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment