Monday, May 11, 2009

One Piece at a Time

My family and I had the good fortune to spend the weekend on Nantucket.  I was up early Saturday morning and drove from Siasconset to Nantucket Village to get the morning paper.  While driving down the road I noticed a woman coming around a corner with a trash bag in her hand.  Around the corner was her parked car.  A 1/2 mile down the road I saw a young family (mom, dad, young boy) again with trash bags in hand.  They also had a picker to reach deep into the shrubs.  I thought to myself what a wonderful family outing.  Surely this little boy was being instilled with the sense of volunteerism.  It warmed my heart.  

While driving back I noticed another half dozen or so people doing the same thing.  They all had trash bags, many had gloves, and some had pickers.  A few were deep into the shrubs.  Certainly I thought, it was an organized "clean up".  No matter, these fine folks gave their Saturday morning to make their little area of the world a little nicer for themselves, as well as for you and me.

Bravo, Nantucket.  

No comments:

Post a Comment